Slip and fall accidents are some of the most common causes of personal injury claims every year in the United States. In fact, thousands of people are injured every year by tripping and falling on a staircase, dangerous floor, or other poorly maintained surface. And although you may think the property owner is responsible for the accident, determining liability and fault in these cases can unfortunately be very complicated.
Premises owners are responsible for maintaining his or her property to ensure there is no danger for guests and patrons. However, this doesn’t mean you can file a lawsuit every time you trip and slip and fall. To learn more about your case and whether or not you can take legal action, you may want to speak with a qualified legal professional about your options.
Determining Liability in a Slip and Fall Accident
Every case is unique but there are several ground rues or points to keep in mind in determining whether or not you have a case. In order to take legal action against a property owner after suffering an injury in a slip and fall accident, one of the following must have occurred:
- The spill, broken floorboard, slick surface, or other danger must have been caused by the owner of the premises or by an employee who works at the establishment.
- The owner of the home or business knew about the spill or unsafe surface and chose to not take action to clean up or repair it.
- It can be determined that the premises owner did not act the way a “reasonable” person would have.
Determining whether or nor the premises owner acted in a “reasonable” way can sometimes be a difficult part of any slip and fall case because it is not as clear-cut as the other criteria.
Common Causes of Slip and Fall Accidents
According to a personal injury lawyer, these types of accidents can happen anywhere at anytime. From walking into the bank to going over to a friend’s house for dinner, when premises owners fail to care for their property, you could suffer serious consequences. Some of the most common places slip and fall accidents occur include the following:
- Parking garages or parking lots
- Friends or family member homes
- Shopping malls
- Restaurants, bars, and other food establishments
Slip and fall accidents can be extremely dangerous and may cause serious injuries that could impact every area of your life. Some common injuries include traumatic brain injuries, back injuries, concussions, broken bones, and scars.